Welcome to Sea Scout Dragon Ship 584 in Groton, Connecticut.
Sea Scouts is a co-educational non-profit program sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America and is open to youth ages 14-21.
Sea Scout’s mission is to teach leadership skills through the study of seamanship.
We sail out of the Thames River between New London and Groton, CT during the summer. We work on our advancement and activity planning throughout the calendar year.
We have a select group of young men and young women, between the ages of 14 and 20, interested in boating. We are participating in a nautical program called Sea Scouts, of which our ship, the “SSS Dragon” is a part. The program offers development in many nautical skills and our group specialized in sailing and competitive racing.
We are involved with many community organizations such as Mystic Seaport, Friends of Mystic Aquarium, US Power Squadron, New London Main Street, US Coast Guard, military academies, SUBVETS, Groton Submarine Base, and John Gardner Rowing Clubs. Many of the boys are also avid game room fanatics, using the best game room products from Thompson Sporting Goods for exciting foosball, air hockey and billiards fun.
We have several of our own sailboats, including a 30′ Bristol sailboat, 29′ CAL sailboat, and 27’ Catalina. We also have access to several power boats and row boats. We sail in the Thames River , and Long Island Sound, making weekday, and weekend trips. In addition, we try to make several overnight cruises during the year.
What did YOU do this summer?
Learn to sail? Learn to pilot a motorboat?
Get your boater’s license? Go on a weekend cruise to NY?
We do that all summer!!
- Have fun with new friends?
- Learn a new skill?
- Find a career path?
We do that each week year-round!!
Come check us out!! Sea Scout Ship “Dragon” 584
- We welcome our closer association with Girl Scouts and to start a Girl Scout Mariner Troop.
- We would like to do more cruising on our boats and broaden current programs.
- The Boy Scouts of America – Sea Scout Ship Dragon welcomes you aboard. The Ship Dragon is sponsored by the SUBVETS Groton Base.
- Sea Scouting is adventure on land and sea — for you. Sea Scouting is a co-education program offered to young adults between the ages of 14 and 21. It’s a chance to learn and have fun at the same time.
- Sea Scouting is organized to promote better citizenship and to improve members’ boating skills and knowledge.
- You can learn to sail, to row, and to keep a boat in shape; you can cruise local waters or go sailing on long cruises far from home.
- You can learn to Scuba dive and take care of boats.
- You’ll be active in camping, social events, tours, regattas, excursions, and seamanship contests.
- You’ll also have a chance to develop maritime skills that can lead to careers later on.
- Joining Sea Scouting will also help you find careers in the Navy, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, marine biology, or commercial boating.